Woman spontaneously burst into flames
Mystery and tragedy went hand-in-hand in Flensburg, northern Germany on Monday evening, when passersby noticed a woman sitting on a bench suddenly burst into flames. A woman was left in critical condition after allegedly bursting into flames as she sat on a bench in the city of Flensburg, in northern Germany.
The Flensburger Tagesblatt and The Local reported that fire and smoke emerged from the woman, who is believed to be in her 40s and originally from Mauritius, while she was sitting on the bench.
Despite the best efforts of a passer-by to beat out the flames, she has reportedly been left severely injured by the incident.
She was taken to a hospital and has since been transferred to a specialist burns unit in Lübeck.
Some reports say that the woman already passed away due to her injuries. Reports as to her current condition remain unconfirmed as of this writing, however.
Prosecutors are said to be keeping an open mind as to the real cause of the incident. While “one witness claimed to have seen two men fleeing the scene shorty before the incident,” prosecutor Ulrike Stahlmann-Liebelt said authorities have not ruled out suicide as a possible cause.
According to the IB Times, however, Flensburg public prosecutor Otto Gosch said: “We have no evidence that points to a third-party fault.”
Info about – Spontaneous Human Combustion
Many cases of spontaneous human combustion has occurred while the victim is at sleep.
Spontaneous combustion occurs when an object in the case of spontaneous human combustion, a person bursts into flame from a chemical reaction within, apparently without being ignited by an external heat source.
The first known account of spontaneous human combustion came from the Danish anatomist Thomas Bartholin in 1663, who described how a woman in Paris “went up in ashes and smoke” while she was sleeping. The straw mattress on which she slept was unmarred by the fire. In 1673, a Frenchman named Jonas Dupont published a collection of spontaneous combustion cases in his work “De Incendiis Corporis Humani Spontaneis.”
The hundreds of spontaneous human combustion accounts since that time have followed a similar pattern: The victim is almost completely consumed, usually inside his or her home. Coroners at the scene have sometimes noted a sweet, smoky smell in the room where the incident occurred.
Not all spontaneous human combustion victims simply burst into flames. Some develop strange burns on their body which have no obvious source, or emanate smoke from their body when no fire is present. And not every person who has caught fire has died — a small percentage of people have actually survived what has been called their spontaneous combustion.
To combust, a human body needs two things: intensely high heat and a flammable substance. Under normal circumstances, our bodies contain neither, but some scientists over the last several centuries have speculated on a few possible explanations for the occurrence.
Today, there are several theories. One of the most popular proposes that the fire is sparked when methane (a flammable gas produced when plants decompose) builds up in the intestines and is ignited by enzymes (proteins in the body that act as catalysts to induce and speed up chemical reactions). Yet most victims of spontaneous human combustion suffer greater damage to the outside of their body than to their internal organs, which seems to go against this theory.
Other theories speculate that the fire begins as a result of a build-up of static electricity inside the body or from an external geomagnetic force exerted on the body. A self-proclaimed expert on spontaneous human combustion, Larry Arnold, has suggested that the phenomenon is the work of a new subatomic particle called a pyroton, which he says interacts with cells to create a mini-explosion. But no scientific evidence proves the existence of this particle. So we really know for sure what causes this to happen.